CDNJC’s Quality Education Committee was formed following the April 2018 Power and Change Conference. Members of the committee are committed to:
- Eliminating the school to prison pipeline in Delaware through educator training, redistribution of resources, and grassroots-led policy advocacy
- Providing educators with training and resources to understand discipline data and create goals for improvement
- Providing educators and schools with resources and training to implement restorative practices in their classrooms and schools
What are we working on?
The Quality Education Committee’s current goal is to help implement legislation that makes school discipline data transparent and requires that schools suspending students over a certain threshold create a community-informed plan to lower suspension rates. Our objectives are to inform the public of school level discipline data and to foster engagement between schools and the community during the creation of these plans. Currently the Quality Education Committee partners with the ACLU of Delaware to accomplish this goal.
When do you meet?
- Date: First and third Tuesday of each month
- Time: 6pm-7pm
- Location: First Unitarian Church of Wilmington (730 Halstead Rd, Wilmington, DE)
- Contact: Shyanne Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org)
No experience? New to community organizing? Not familiar with the education world? We can still use your thinking, experience, and knowledge to meet our goals– and help build your skills and knowledge in the process.